Welcome to the 2014 FIU Football PSAT (Pelegrin Standard Achievement Test). This is a test of your FIU football knowledge ranging from the start of the program in 2002 through the 2013 Panthers season.
Unless you have been at every FIU football practice and game since the program started in 2002, you will probably need to do some research to answer the following 25 questions.
In past FIU Football PSATs some of you have commented that the questions were too hard. With that in mind I’ve made this year’s PSAT a little easier. Add to that this is an open book/open internet test and you are on your way to a prize, if not at least you learn a little more about the history of FIU football.
All of the answers to the 25 questions (30 points) have been written somewhere before. You can find those answers in past articles I’ve written (which include stories I wrote in my previous job for the local newspaper), this blog, articles on FIU Sports.com, FIU media guides and on the local newspaper’s FIU blog before July 20, 2010 – my final day at the paper.
There are three prizes this year for the top 3 scores. The reader with the most points scored in the PSAT has their choice of 1 of 3 prizes: 1) 2010 FIU Football Little Caesars Pizza Bowl & Sun Belt Championship replica ring; 2) 2002 FIU Football Inaugural game program 3) FIU Football 10-year anniversary t-shirt.
The second place winner gets the next choice of prizes and the third place winner gets the prize that is remaining.
The rules are simple: 1) Score the most points on the following 25 questions, which equal 30 points. 2) Should there be a tie after 25 questions, then whoever e-mailed their answers to me first is the winner.
If you want your entry to count toward the FIU Football PSAT contest, then you MUST E-MAIL your answers to email@example.com.
Deadline to submit your PSAT answers entry will be July 27 at 11 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. Winners will be announced right here on July 28.
Notes: Carefully read the questions for the specific answers I’m looking for. Also when it comes to FIU’s all-time won-loss records, I am going by the on-field results and not by the games vacated by the NCAA. For example, FIU was 5-6 in 2005 but the NCAA does not recognize those 5 wins. I do recognize those five wins both in this test and in real life.
Good luck on your 2014 FIU Football PSAT. You may begin now.
2014 FIU FOOTBALL PSAT
1. Who are the only FIU players to gain 200 or more rushing yards in a game? (2 points)
2. FIU leads the all-time series against one Conference USA opponent. Who is it? (1 point)
3. What NFL team has had the most FIU players play in regular season games? (1 point)
4. Who holds the FIU record for the longest kickoff return? (1 point)
5. What is the earliest start time ever for an FIU football game? (1 point)
6. Paul McCall (photo below) has the only 400-yard passing game in FIU history. Who has the second highest passing yardage game in FIU history? (1 point)
7. At the 2010 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, T.Y. Hilton promised another Panther that he would return the opening kickoff of the second half for a touchdown. Hilton did so. Who was the FIU player T.Y. told he would take back the kickoff for a touchdown? (1 point)
8. Who made the two longest field goals in FIU history? (2 points)
9. The Don Shula Bowl featuring FIU against Florida Atlantic is FIU’s longest running series. Against who is FIU’s second longest series? (1 point)
10. In 2008 who intercepted Arkansas State quarterback Corey Leonard to seal the win for FIU in the “Hilton Heave” game (photo below)? (1 point)
11. FIU has shutout one team in its 12-year history. Who is that team? (1 point)
12. What two players in FIU history have actual country names in their last names? (2 points)
13. What is the longest winning streak in FIU football history? (1 point)
14. Who scored the first FIU defensive touchdown in program history? (1 point)
15. What former FIU punter was a linebacker in high school? (1 point)
16. Only two non-kickers have led FIU in scoring in its 12 years, who are they? (2 points)
17. What FIU player is the nephew of Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin? (1 point)
18. T.Y. Hilton has the two highest receiving yards games in FIU history. Who has the third highest receiving yard game? (1 point)
19. FIU has won one game in August. Who did the Panthers beat? (1 point)
20. With this player on the FIU team last year this last name tied the Jones last name for most players with the same last name in FIU football history. What is the last name that tied the Jones last name? (1 point)
21. In what state outside of Florida has FIU played the most games? (1 point)
22. By how many yards did Jake Medlock miss tying the FIU record for longest punt last year? (1 point)
23. Only two FIU players have led the team in sacks in more than one season, who are they? (2 points)
24. In his four years at FIU, T.Y. Hilton led the Panthers in kickoff return yards each season. However, Hilton led the Panthers in punt return yards in three of his four seasons. Who led FIU in punt return yards the year that Hilton did not? (1 point)
25. Who is the only current or former FIU assistant coach to ever appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated? (1 point)