It's time for the FIU midsummer classic, the FIU Football PSAT (Pelegrin Standard Achievement Test) where your FIU football knowledge is tested ranging from the start of the program in 2002 through the 2014 Panthers season. Depending on your FIU football knowledge and the speed in which you answer the following questions you might win one of the three prizes in this year's PSAT.
Unless you have been at every FIU football practice and game since the program started in 2002, you will probably need to cheat (it's OK cheating is encouraged in this exam) and research to answer the following 14 questions, some of which have several parts. The highest score possible in the 2015 PSAT is 40 points, which is the total value of the 14 questions. 14 questions because this season marks the 14th season of FIU football.
All of the answers to the 14 questions have been written somewhere before. You can find those answers in past articles I’ve written (which include stories I wrote in my previous job for the local newspaper), this blog, articles on FIU Sports.com, FIU media guides and on the local newspaper’s FIU blog before July 20, 2010 – my final day at the paper.
There are three prizes this year for the top 3 scores. The reader with the most points scored in the PSAT has their choice of 1 of 3 prizes: an FIU camo cap, Roary cellphone charger or FIU Paws Up t-shirt.
The second place winner gets the next choice of prizes and the third place winner gets the prize that is remaining.
The rules are simple: 1) Score the most points on the following 14 questions, which equal 40 points. 2) Should there be a tie after 14 questions, then whoever e-mailed their answers to me first is the winner.
If you want your entry to count toward the FIU Football PSAT contest, then you MUST E-MAIL your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to submit your PSAT answers entry will be July 19 at 11 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. Winners will be announced right here on July 20.
No need for a No. 2 pencil so begin the 2015 FIU Football PSAT now:
2015 FIU FOOTBALL PSAT
1. In its history FIU has played two football games in either a current Major League Baseball stadium or a former MLB stadium. What are the two stadiums? (2 points)
2. When FIU defensive lineman Imarjaye Albury played his first game for the Panthers in 2014 he became just third FIU player ever to have a first name that begins with the letter I. Who are the other two former FIU players whose first names begin with I? (2 points)
3. FIU has had three players achieve either a 1,000-yard rushing season or 1,000-yard receiving season. Who are those three players? (3 points)
4. Last season the FIU defense finished 35th in total defense in the nation. It was the second highest finish in total defense for an FIU team. What is the highest total defense ranking ever for an FIU defense? (1 point)
6. Who is the only FIU offensive lineman to ever score a touchdown? (1 point)
7. What three states in the U.S. is FIU undefeated in and who are the five teams that FIU has beaten in those states? (8 points)
8. Name the four first-time opponents FIU will play in the 2015 season? (4 points)
9. Incoming FIU freshman running back Terry Bennett signed with the Miami Marlins. If Bennett had not signed with the Marlins he would have become the second FIU athlete to play for both the Panthers football and baseball teams this season. Who is the only FIU athlete to have played for both FIU football and baseball? (1 point)
10. In its 13-year football history FIU has had four players in their FIU careers score touchdowns in three or more different ways (running, receiving, passing, kickoff return, punt return, interception return, fumble return), Who are the four players and which two of those four players have scored touchdowns in four or more ways in their FIU careers? (6 points)
11. FIU has had three head coaches in its 13-year history, Don Strock, Mario Cristobal and Ron Turner. Against what teams was each of those coaches' first win and what do the mascots of those three opposing teams have in common? (4 points)
12. FIU has not played a team from two Division I (FBS) conferences. What are those two conferences? (2 points)
13. What two former FIU players have been part of teams that have played in the Super Bowl? (2 points)
14. Who is the first former FIU player to become an FIU assistant coach? Not an FIU graduate assistant coach but a full-fledged FIU assistant coach. (1 point)